Feijoas, come one, come all.

The feijoa season is upon us. I had three today! When my family moved to New Zealand, we had never seen feijoa trees before. The neighbours told us how the fruit is ripe when it falls. Now I know it's autumn when feijoas fall. They remind me of the move to New Zealand and guavas in Taiwan.


Whole feijoa and cross-section, by a HortResearch photographer.

Feijoa sellowiana is an evergreen from South America. The green ellipsoid tastes sweet, has a gritty texture and smells sweet due to its methyl benzoate. Nutritional data states the fruit is low in cholesterol and sodium, high in folate and is a good source of vitamin C. If you have interest in growing feijoa, check out the New Zealand Grower's Association in what you need.

Feijoa can be used in (source: Wikipedia Entry):

I pick up the fruit, cut it in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. How do you eat your feijoa?

2 comments:

  1. I love feijoas!! Two days ago I ate thirteen... mmmm yumm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! Now I have a bagful, should last a few days.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails